Sunday, January 8, 2012

Books from Before - Part 3

#46. Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt
Read it! I don’t know why, but for some reason, I have always found witch trials to be fascinating. This book, set in England in 1612 showed me an important lesson about historical fiction – if the subject matter is right, you can lose yourself in any book. I really, really liked this one.

#47. State of Fear by Michael Crichton
Read it! All you climate change freaks out there should read this too. I was impressed by the amount of research Michael Crichton did for this book. Being married to a physicist, who thinks “global warming” and “climate change” are utter bullshit, might be one of the other reasons I liked this book so much.

#48. Debt of Bones by Terry Goodkind
Read it. Good, as always. I really liked this little novella. A must read for any Goodkind fan, just so you can get more of the delightful universe.

#49. Letters from Yellowstone by Diane Smith
Read it. This was kind of interesting, and the format was certainly different. The funniest part about this book was that I read it aloud. There was a character named Rutherford. I have two pet rabbits, one of which is named Rutherford. He kept thinking I was talking to him as I was reading. It was presh. And also the most memorable part of reading this book.

#50. Room Full of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix by Charles R Cross
Read it, and absolutely loved it. More evidence that when you are interested in the subject, biographies are fascinating. Even though I knew how it ended, I was still bitterly disappointed at the end – to me, the sign of a good writer. I was depressed for a week or two after reading this – all that talent, wasted.

#51. Casting with a Fragile Thread: A Story of Sisters and Africa by Wendy Kann
Read it. Interesting but sort of meh. Story of growing up in Africa as part of a white, colonial family...need I say more?

#52. Even After All This Time: A Story of Love, Revolution and Leaving Iran by Afschineh Latifi
Read it. This autobiography really, really moved me. I recommended it to a few friends, and read passages aloud to my husband. Not only was the part of the book that focused on Iran a compelling look at what has gone on and is going on in that country, the parts about Afschineh's immigration to America are truly, truly amazing. This woman, and her family, have GUTS - I cannot imagine a single pampered American going through these trials and prevailing. I just can't.

#53. Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey
Read it. Jacqueline Carey is always a good choice, and she doesn’t disappoint. I'm not sure how many more times I can say it - READ THESE BOOKS!!!!

#54. The Witch of Cologne by Tobsha Learner – Read it. This book was very moving to me for some reason. Historical fiction at its finest, and an interesting look at how science and intelligence were viewed in 17th century Cologne. And how that view differed based on your religious upbringing.

#55. Dies the Fire by S M Stirling
Read it. Interesting and not my usual thing, even though it was fantasy. I could see myself getting into the series though, but haven't explored it further yet.

#56. The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett
Read it. Quirky and delightful. And made me realize that I am a huge nerd. A fact with which I am A-OK. Mostly because no matter how big a nerd I am, my husband is a bigger one. :) This book, and most of the Discworld series (at least the 10 or so I have read so far), are really quite humorous as well, which is a nice little added bonus.

#57. Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume edited by Jennifer O'Connell
Read most of it. This was horrible. I guess I just don’t like Judy Blume as much as I did when I was 10. Perhaps this dud is why I just stopped the book blog all together? I sort of felt like I HAD to finish the book, and honestly, I would have rather scrubbed my shower with a toothbrush than read any more of this drivel.

And there you have it. The 30ish books I read but never blogged about because I was too busy earning money. My conscience is clear, and I can move on with my new plan and new format. Thank you, readers, for your indulgence.

2 comments:

  1. Although I haven't read any of these books, I'm thoroughly enjoying your commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JD, you would like this round of commentary the most... :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete