Sunday, January 8, 2012

Books from Before - Part 1

So, are you wondering what happened to those 30 odd books that used to be on my sidebar? Well, I read them. Plus many others. But back to those books (the others are kind of irrelevant at this point). To make the new start nice and fresh, I wanted to give a quick run down on those 30ish books. Just in case you were curious.

#24. First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain
Read it! After The Green Rider, I was really into this fantasy world. I liked the further exploration of Karrigan's powers in this book, and looked forward to finishing up the series with the next book. Except the series didn't end there, but more on that later.

#25. The Cello Suites: JS Bach, Pablo Casals and the Search for a Baroque Masterpiece by Eric Siblin
Read it, and totally loved it. As a cellist, I found this book fascinating, and I think that any history lover or musician would enjoy it too. Pablo Casals had such an amazing life, and I really enjoyed how the book itself joined Bach, Casals and the actual piece as well.

#26. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Read it! Maybe the Classics aren’t so bad? This really stoked my interest in politics again, and Corey and I had many debates about it.

#27. The High King's Tomb by Kristen Britain
Read it! First thoughts? “I wish that Kristen Britain would resolve this plot already”. But, I did enjoy it, and will be reading the next book in the series soon.

#28. Cakes and Ale by W Somerset Maugham
Read it, and wish I could get those moments of my life back. This is everything I hate about Classic literature. If you are even tempted to read this book...don't.

#29. Inside Out by Maria V Snyder
Read it! I love Maria V Snyder, and this was just a great read. If you have a young adult reader in your house, buy this for them. They will really enjoy it. The sequel, Outside In, was good too! I can't wait to read her next book (not part of this series), A Touch of Power.

#30. The Other Boelyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Read it! Not so sure it is really historically accurate, but fairly enjoyable all the same. Also, I did quite enjoy the movie, but that could just be because my bestie & I watched it together at a "sleepover" (can you still have those past 28 years old? We made pitas fried in bacon fat and pumpkin cake, so I guess that kind of counts).

#31. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Read it! I.Loved. This. Book. And now I understand why everyone thinks Neil Gaiman is the shit. If you haven’t read it, remedy immediately.

#32. Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs
Read it! Nice little diversion, as always. Patricia Briggs is such a good author for a quick urban fantasy read, and you can depend on her books to draw you in. Plus, I really like her heroine - she isn't really a girly girl, and I dig that.

#33. Green by Jay Lake
Read it, and thought it was so-so. I felt like an entirely new plot started halfway through, which was odd because the original plot was so good.

#34. The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R King
Read it, loved it. I thought the whole Sherlock Holmes spin-off was brilliant, and it made me want to read more Sherlock Holmes books. It was like classic literature fan fiction.

#35. Psion by Joan D Vinge
Read it! Really, really liked it. This is what sci-fi should be, in my mind. I have notions of reading the rest of this series in the near future, once I finish what is currently on my plate, so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment