Sunday, January 8, 2012

Books from before - Part 2

Since I am home and feeling wretched, I thought I would at least post the second installment of my Books from Before. Enjoy!

#36. The Phoenix Unchained by Mercedes Lackey
Read it (and the rest of the series). Typical fantasy, and rather enjoyable too, but a little young for my taste.

#37. The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist
Read it. Depressing and intriguing at the same time, and kind of reminded me of the movie The Island.

#38. Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Read it. As far as young adult fantasy books go, it was pretty good. I definitely liked it much more than other YA werewolf books…

#39. Daughter of the Flames by Zoe Marriott
Read it. Really enjoyed it. Although it is a fantasy book, and includes a princess, she is an ass-kicking warrior priestess first. So, that has to count for something. This is a touching fantasy novel that any young adult would enjoy.

#40. The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
Read it. Haven’t seen the movie yet (I doubt I could make Corey watch it). This was a pretty good book – I must say it is the first time I considered that Charlotte Lucas might have been a lesbian, and that actually holds up after additional thought. This book definitely gets kudos for making me think of favorite classics in a new way.

#41. The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society by Beth Pattillo
Read it. It was OK. And made me realize that I can live the rest of my life without ever reading another ‘romance’. These books are just so bland, as a general rule. There isn’t really a plot, there is just…melodrama. This genre is like the soap opera of the book world, and I am just fine without that.

#42. On the Edge by Ilona Andrews
Read it (and Bayou Moon)! This is the kind of romance I can really enjoy. Not the soap opera kind, rather the action packed, “I’m a kick ass woman, so you better send me a REAL man” kind. I have read several of the Kate Daniels Books by Ilona Andrews, and this was a little different, but I really liked it. The setting kind of reminded me of the swampy, gothic decay of Charlaine Harris’ Bon Temps, but the writing style and plot lines sure do blow Sookie out of the water.

#43. The Dark Lantern by Gerri Brightwell
Read it! This was like Matchstick Men meets Oliver Twist, only darker. It was kind of intriguing, although I could see how some people may not have enjoyed it - it does take some time for all the plot points to fully unwind.

#44. The Dark Vineyard by Martin Walker
Read it! Mystery, set in French countryside? Yes please! This was an excellent mystery novel, and reminded me of just how much I love all things French. You should read it. Really.

#45. Three Wishes: A True Story of Good Friends, Crushing Heartbreak and Astonishing Luck on Our Way to Love and Motherhood by Casey Goldberg, Beth Jones and Pamela Ferdinand
Read it! Although the title is a huge mouthful, this book is amazing. As a 30 something woman who feels the ever more insistent ticking of her biological clock, this book was truly heart rending. It touched me in a very meaningful way, and I recommend it to any woman struggling with fertility or any other type of personal adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment