Tuesday, January 5, 2010

# 9 – Peril at End House by Agatha Christie


Mystery , 249 pages

I have always wanted to read a book by Agatha Christie, and choosing one to start with was kind of daunting – there were many in the mystery section at my local library. I chose Peril at End House for what you may think is a ridiculous reason, and maybe it is. I just really like to say the word ‘peril’. Seriously.

Peril at End House starts with Hercule Poirot and his Watson-like friend, Hastings dining on a patio while Poirot vacations in Southern England. Poirot is delighting in his recent retirement from his life of solving crimes and how he is unlikely to return when the fetching Nick Buckley has a narrow brush with death, right in front of their table. Poirot is intrigued when he finds that this is the fourth such incident, and decides to take upon himself the task of solving this crime before Ms. Buckley is killed.

I know that is a painfully short review, but I found this to be such a delightful book that I don’t want to spoil any of the mystery for any of my readers. I really enjoyed Christie’s writing style, and I could picture Hercule Poirot as though he were actually in the room with me (in my head, he is a French version of Adrian Monk). The ending was a surprise to me, although I had my suspicions about at least one of the characters.

Particularly after dragging my feet through Catch-22 , Peril at End House was like a breath of fresh air. This was quite an enjoyable read, and if you are new to reading mysteries or an old pro, I highly recommend it. 4 out of 5 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment