Friday, October 16, 2009

Books just layin' around the house

When I got home today, I, of course, insisted that Corey read my first blog post about the reading project while I spent several minutes looking at the bookshelves in the house to find some books I had not yet read. I was shocked at the number of books I already have on hand:

1) East of Eden by John Steinbeck
2) The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
3) Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
4) Don Quixote by Cervantes
5) On the Road by Jack Kerouac
6) (a very ragged and dog eared copy of) Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
7) Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
8) All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
9) The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
10) The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton
11) Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
12) The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck
13) The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
14) Democracy in America by Alexis DeTocqueville
15) The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
16) Forrest Gump by Winston Groom
17) Billy Budd by Herman Melville
18) Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
19) A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
20) Native Son by Richard Wright
21) The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
22) 1984 by George Orwell
23) The Foundations of Dialogue in Science & Religion by Alister McGrath
24) About Time by Paul Davies
25) Washington Square by Henry James

Additionally, Corey has (so far) decided that his picks for us to both read are going to be Ulysses by James Joyce and Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner.

This whole project seems a lot less daunting to me now for some reason. I am glad to have Corey's support, and I am really glad that he and I have such diverse tastes in books. Now, where to start?

1 comment:

  1. Also, I want to point out that I may not necessarily read all of these books, I just happen to own them.

    ReplyDelete