Friday, October 16, 2009

Are you up for the challenge?

I was checking out my friend, Maggie’s blog, Magnolia Reads, and was immediately taken with the idea to do a ‘100 books in a year’ project myself. I am quite the avid reader (my husband says I devour books), and I really love recommending books to friends. Nothing makes me happier than getting a friend hooked on a series that I really and truly love. Hearing their take on it always makes me excited, because I get to relive the series again.
In spite of my voracity for books, I find that I tend to fixate on certain genres, and that does not a well-rounded reader make. I have a tendency to get really bored with certain genres and just not finish a book I have started in a genre that doesn’t really move me. The 100 books in a year challenge is (hopefully) going to force me to broaden my literary horizons.


Rules:

Rule #1:
All new material. Although I love to re-read books, and have a number that I re-read on a yearly basis, re-reading kind of defeats the purpose of this exercise.

Rule #2:
No audio books. I will limit my audio book listening in the workplace to books I have already read.

Rule #3:
The 100 books have to represent a variety of genres and subjects.
Here's how I’ve decided to break it down:

20 suggestions - 9 down, 11 to go
Send me some suggestions, and I will gladly read one of your faves! You can leave a comment on this post or e-mail me. I will read 20 books that have been suggested, no matter what. Unless I have already read them (see rule #1). If I get more than 20 suggestions, I will choose first based on books that are recommended multiple times and then in date order of recommendation.

20 "classics" - 5 down, 15 to go
I realize the term "classic" is subjective. I will base my selections on The Complete List, Random House's Modern Library and Eagle Forum's Classics That Endure lists.

10 books that have been adapted into movies - 4 down, 6 to go
I actually thought that, if I were to ever become a teacher, I would do a unit on reading books that have been adapted into movies. I can’t wait to check these babies out!

5 biographies and/or autobiographies - 1 down, 4 to go
Although I am not, in general a fan of biographies, I am willing to give them another shot. There are some really intriguing people out there, and I think that I would be able to pick 5 that I could read about.


10 other non-fiction - 2 down, 8 to go
I really, really, really dislike non-fiction. Could I throw another ‘really’ in there? Non-fiction always reminds me of reading a school text book. However, I will give it a go. And I will try to read about a variety of topics (read: I will try not to read 10 books about politics, which I actually enjoy).

5 historical fiction - 3 down, 2 to go
Mary, please give me some good suggestions. Seriously. I know that this can be a wonderful genre – I mean, who didn’t like the Little House on the Prairie books? However, since reading those books, I can’t say that I have opened another piece of historical fiction.


5 mysteries - 3 down, 2 to go
I am not generally a mystery fan, although I can sometimes get into them. I’ll give it a chance.

5 science fiction - COMPLETE!!
I am not the biggest sci-fi fan. I look at the sci-fi books I have read as a gateway to (better) fantasy books, but I am going to give this genre a go again. I have the sneaking suspicion that, like fantasy, there is a LOT of bad sci-fi literature out there.

10 fantasy
- COMPLETE!!
I. Love. Fantasy. Books. Love them. I generally find new reading material by searching Google for new fantasy book series. For the purposes of this challenge, I will try to limit myself to only 10 fantasy books in a single year, and I will be shocked if I don’t find a way to sneak in more than 10.

3 graphic novels - 1 down, 2 to go
I have read and enjoyed several graphic novels, but, it was a while ago, so I think I am going to pick a couple for this challenge.

1 romance - COMPELETE!!
I will try not to make it a ‘paranormal romance’ (see limiting my fantasy reading, above), but I make no promises.

1 Oprah's book club pick
Not that I care about her opinion on books, but she has picked several good ones in the time that she has been doing the book club.

3 kids/YA books - COMPLETE!!
Because, why not?

2 Corey’s pick
Over the years, I have read several books recommended to me by my husband. In fact, I think that my relationship with him was definitely the only one that had a required reading list. I figure that if I could get through Moby Dick so that I could date him in college, I can read anything he can throw at me.

Rule #4:
I will post a book report style review for each book that I finish, and I will also rate them, using a 1-5 star rating.

1 star: This is the kind of book that I had to force myself to finish. I don’t usually do this, so I have nothing to give as an example. Seriously, even if I am 50 pages from the end of a book I can’t stand, I just put it down and don’t finish it, and I am completely OK with that.

3 stars: These are ‘sitcom’ or ‘brain candy’ books – something you enjoy and could read again, but that didn’t really have a significant impact on your life. This would be something like Bridget Jones Diary or the Southern Vampire Series, which I enjoyed immensely, and would read again.

5 stars: This is the type of book that spurs conversations, makes you look at your life in a different way and causes some serious self-reflection. For me, this is something like Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or The Fountainhead. Well, that’s my plan. I can’t wait to get started. Hopefully I am smart enough to ration my fantasy books throughout this project…

Stay tuned everyone, and start sending me suggestions!

4 comments:

  1. David McCullough is one of my all-time favorite authors. I recommend John Adams, 1776 or Truman...however, they are all pretty long (600+ pages), so my official recommendation is his collection of short stories/essays, Brave Companions. You could count it as non-fiction, and I don't think you'll find it at all like reading a school text book. His stories are always insightful on the individuals he profiles and always engaging. It could also technically fall into the biography category.

    Other potential recommendations (i.e., books I've loved):
    - Eat, Pray, Love - autobiography
    - Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy - classics
    - The Monster at the End of This Book - kids (features Grover, can't help but love it)
    - The Wednesday Letters, Jason F. Wright - might be able to count this as a romance and actually enjoy reading a "romance" book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate! I have read Anna Karenina already - I really love Tolstoy. I think that I already read the Monster at the End of This Book when I was a kid - this might be the only category where I actually 're-read' something. I mean, how can you count revisiting a book that you last read over 20 years ago as 're-reading'? Someone else also recommended 'Eat, Pray, Love', so I will definitely put that one at the top of the list. I will definitely look up David McCullough and see what I think - I am not opposed to really long books, so I might be able to do the John Adams autobiography. I usually read 3 or 4 books at the same time, so long ones are totally doable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So.... Like four people from my office are now doing the challenge. Don't you feel cool now Dice? So now I have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finished my first book, Memoirs of a Geisha. A good read, I'd probably rate it as a 4 on a scale of 1-5.

    ReplyDelete